How were you introduced to romance?

Let me start my first post with Romance Readers’ Cafe’ with a welcome to you, the reader, and a thank you to the authors who have made this place a reality. ๐Ÿ™‚

My name is Loraine Nunley and I am a romance author, but I am always first a romance reader.

Why romance?

For me, the journey of romance reading began at a young age. Probably from the moment I discovered that boys made me feel all giggly inside. I have been a reader from the time my mother took me on regular trips to the library. She had to carry me in because I hadn’t learned to walk yet.

Here’s a fun fact about me: Did you know that I learned to write my first name just so I could get my own library card?

No kidding. I still have that first card. I love that story. ๐Ÿ™‚

I discovered romances at my local library. Romance Readers' Cafe'

I love my library – don’t you?

As a child, I read just about everything I could get my hands on. I would even read the cereal box at the kitchen table while I ate my breakfast. My favorite reads, though, were always fiction.

Then I began to think of boys. And my tastes in reading shifted. I went from reading about girls having adventures to girls having adventures with boys to girls falling in love with them.

Our city library had a busing system that allowed me to ride the bus every Saturday to the library without my mom. I rarely missed a Saturday trip. I would get on the bus for the first run early in the morning and blissfully spend the day at the library. The last bus home was my ride and my arms would be full of books to tide me over until the next week.

Okay, so I read them all long before the next Saturday, but I digress.

Spending every week in our small library gave me the opportunity to explore all of the bookshelves. That’s when those covers grabbed my attention.

You know the ones. The man and woman embracing under the Harlequin logo.

Yes, they were too old for me. But I couldn’t resist looking at them. When I fancied myself to be more mature, I actually pulled one off the shelf and read it. Reading one of those was an eye-opener to say the least. If only they had cleaner versions. Then I stumbled upon the ones for young adults. First Love from Silhouette.

First Love from Silhouette: Love At First Sightย First Love From Silhouette: A Civil War

I had come home.

Like the adult Harlequin lines, there were several new titles released every month. I haunted our young adult section waiting for the library to acquire the latest ones. And I devoured every single one of them. Several times over because our library didn’t have a large budget.

They made me happy – those romances. The idea that there was someone special for me out there gave me hope, especially when the world wasn’t hopeful.

That is what I love about fiction and romance in particular. It represents our hope for a better world.

When did you discover romance books? Did you find them early in your life or later?

Do any of you remember the first romances you read? Does anyone remember the First Love from Silhouette romance line?

Loraine Nunleyย is an author and blogger who grew up near Detroit, Michigan and now lives just outside of Fort Worth, Texas. She is a member of ACFW and writes inspirational romance. In 2017, she was honored to be a finalist in the suspense category of the ACFW First Impressions contest.

Being a romantic at heart, Loraine often finds inspiration for her writing within her own marriage. She has been blessed to find her own real life romantic hero with her husband. Her writing career has included a self-help book about remarriage and a series of children’s books about military aircraft.

Whenย not writing furiously and dreaming up stories, she can be found reading, adding books to her over flowing bookshelves, homeschooling her children, and enjoying time with her family.

Connect with Loraine at:

Website: http://lorainenunley.com/

On Social Media:

Facebook Page

Twitter

Google

Instagram

Pinterest

Amazon

Goodreads

By |2018-02-11T21:44:28+00:00February 20th, 2018|Loraine Nunley|16 Comments

About the Author:

16 Comments

1. Karin Beery February 20, 2018 at 4:41 pm - Reply

I’ve always looked for the love stories in whatever I read, from Mary Anne and Logan (The Babysitters Club) to Nancy and Ned (Nancy Drew). I didn’t really start reading strict romance until I was an adult (except for that time in high school when a friend loaned me some of her mom’s Harlequin books – boy was that an education!).

• Loraine Nunley February 20, 2018 at 5:37 pm - Reply

LOL yeah, those harlequins were something else for a teenage mind. Now that you’ve mentioned that about looking for the romance, I think that I have done that most of my reading life as well Karin.

2. Winnie Thomas February 20, 2018 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Hi Loraine, I enjoyed reading your post. I think I’ve always enjoyed romantic stories. I need that happy ending. I’ve been reading a lot more historical romance stories lately. It fun to learn more about different historical time periods.

• Loraine Nunley February 20, 2018 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Hi Winnie! Thanks so much for visiting here. ๐Ÿ™‚ I know what you mean about needing the happy ending. That is a big draw for me with romances.

What was the latest historical romance that you’ve read? I just finished Sarah Sundin’s The Sea Before Us. I learned sooo much about D-Day from it.

• Winnie Thomas February 20, 2018 at 11:23 pm - Reply

I just finished Across the Blue by Carrie Turansky and A Refuge Assured by Jocelyn Green. They were both fantastic!

• Loraine Nunley February 21, 2018 at 2:26 am - Reply

I’m adding both of those to my TBR (to-be-read) list right now. Thanks for the recommendations.

3. Beth Olsson February 21, 2018 at 2:53 am - Reply

The first romance I remember falling in love with was A Gown of Spanish Lace by Janette Oke. My mom got the book on tape and we listened to it as we drove across Kansas to visit my grandparents. I must’ve been about ten and thought it was terribly romantic. I reread it when I was older, got to the end and thought – they didn’t even kiss!

• Loraine Nunley February 21, 2018 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Oh I love that it made such an impression on you without even a kiss? Wow. It just goes to show that romantic tension can really make you turn the pages. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Austin Ryan February 22, 2018 at 10:58 pm - Reply

Wooow, Beth. That’s kinda crazy, considering I grew up on a different continent than you (I think), but “A Gown of Spanish Lace” was actually the first romance I ever read too. I loved it so much. I still love it.

4. Mikal Dawn February 21, 2018 at 2:54 am - Reply

I’m in love with love! I’ve always been a romance reader, even as a young girl. My first taste of romance was Janette Oke. It was sweet and romantic. And then…yep, like you and Karin, I was introduced to *those* Harlequin romances. #whoops After a number of years, I discovered the Love Inspired line and was home!! I think I love romance the most because God IS love, and these stories can have such deep, spiritual correlations, you know? And I love that. <3

• Loraine Nunley February 21, 2018 at 8:20 pm - Reply

Oh, I so agree with you there Mikal. As my reading tastes have changed over the years, I find myself more drawn to those romances that reflect God’s love. They don’t even have to do it in any overt way, because a good love story is a God story. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Austin Ryan February 22, 2018 at 11:03 pm - Reply

I probably love the romance genre partly because I’m all about the happily ever after. I remember thinking as a child (teenager?) that I couldn’t understand why anyone would want to read about tragedy when there was so much of that in the world already. Now, that doesn’t mean I enjoy books without any conflict. Adventure? Yes. Danger? Yes. But the happy ending needs to be there. At least for the hero and heroine.

• Loraine Nunley February 24, 2018 at 3:21 am - Reply

I get that Austin. I want to feel happy when I finish reading a book. Usually. Some books have surprised me, but overall, I want to feel a good “wow” or *sigh* when I put the book down.

• Austin Ryan March 1, 2018 at 2:53 am - Reply

I know. The *wow* and the *sigh* needs to be there ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Mollie Rushmeyer February 28, 2018 at 6:59 pm - Reply

It’s so great to get to know you a little bit, Loraine. I love the picture of you riding to the library to get your weekly fix! You should put that in one of your books! I didn’t get into romances until later in life (when I was a kid/teen, I loved all things fantasy and sci-fi), but that escape kept me coming back. And eventually, I said, “Why couldn’t I write a story?”

• Loraine Nunley February 28, 2018 at 10:45 pm - Reply