A Slight Departure: Mikal’s Sonnet #1

I know this isn’t a typical blog post, but I couldn’t help myself. So I borrowed a little bit from Elizabeth Barrett Browning (it’s public domain). I would tell you to enjoy, buuuut…I stink at poetry. You’ve been warned.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee for the sigh and giggle and swoon
My soul can feel, as if flying to the moon.
For the endless romance that mirrors grace.
I love thee for how you fill long days
With readers wrapped warm, as if in a cocoon;
I love thee freely, I consider you a boon.
I love thee purely, as you sing God’s praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my imagination so bright.
I love thee with a love that never gave me the blues
When life threw curves. I love thee with the bright
Smiles, tears, of all my dreams; and, if God choose,
I shall be love thee better as I write.

Yep. Told you it was going to be bad. But that’s okay! This is why I write romance novels, not poetry. Haha!

Have you ever tried your hand at something you stink at but loved and kept doing anyway?

Mikal Dawn is an inspirational romance author, wedding enthusiast, and proud military wife. By day, she works as an administrative assistant for an international ministry, serves in her church’s library, runs her kids to all their sports, and drinks lots of coffee. By night, she talks to figments of her imagination as she attempts to write while dinner is burning. And drinks lots of coffee. When she isn’t writing about faith, fun, and forever, she is obsessively scouring Pinterest (with coffee in hand, of course!) for wedding ideas for her characters.

Originally from Vancouver, Canada, Mikal now lives in Nebraska with her husband, their three children, and one ferocious feline. Connect with Mikal on mikaldawn.comFacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

By |2018-03-16T04:00:39+00:00March 16th, 2018|Mikal Dawn|8 Comments

About the Author:

8 Comments

1. Mollie Rushmeyer March 16, 2018 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Love it! I painted for a long time just because I liked it. I was terrible and now I realize I was looking for a creative outlet and I hadn’t found the right niche yet. I, of course, later found it in writing. It’s funny though, even when you find your passion, you still look back on your earlier attempts and cringe. I’m sure I’ll look at the stuff I’m writing now in a couple years and see all my mistakes. Oh, well! It means there’s progress! Thanks for sharing, Mikal!

• Mikal Dawn March 17, 2018 at 12:51 am - Reply

Oh, I LOVE painting!! I go to those painting places, and decided to try my hand at home. Yeah. I’m not good. But I DO love it! As for early attempts at writing…ohmygoodness, YES. I look back at my first historical attempt and cringe. Actually, I do more than cringe. I laugh. Hard. Because it’s so bad. LOL!

Thank you so much, Mollie! <3

2. Loraine Nunley March 17, 2018 at 2:01 am - Reply

Fun post Mikal.

My mom did a lot of needlework like crocheting and embroidery. She made such wonderful things. She tried to teach me crocheting but I could never seem to get it past the basics. Every once in awhile I will pick up some yarn and a crochet needle, forgetting that I am really bad at it. 😉

• Mikal Dawn March 17, 2018 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Oh Loraine, YES!! LOL! My best friend tried teaching me how to crochet many, many times. To no avail. I did teach myself to knit and made a scarf, but realized I wasn’t so great at that, either, and gave my needles and books away. I should probably just stick to writing. (And painting because I really do love it!)

3. Austin Ryan March 17, 2018 at 1:20 pm - Reply

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember, so apparently it didn’t take me much time to find *my* creative outlet. I’ve also done knitting, crocheting, drawing, sewing, all sorts of crafts that I’m not even sure have a name. I love creating, and it doesn’t really matter much what. But I always come back to the writing. Making sour dough bread is something I absolutely suck at. And I still really want to crack the code, but perhaps that will be my lifelong sorrow (props if you get the reference!).

• Mikal Dawn March 17, 2018 at 9:40 pm - Reply

I’ve been writing my whole life, too, but I can’t seem to help myself. 😉 Now sewing…that I can do. 😀 I especially love making baby gifts. I sewed a CUTE hot pink whale (with a navy and white chevron belly) that I still love. It’s with my namesake now. <3 <3 <3

Annnnnd…I THINK I'M DUMB! I'll probably get it as soon as you tell me, but right now, I don't get the reference! Even Google is failing me. LOL!!!

4. Austin Ryan March 20, 2018 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Aww! I’m sorry, your browser must be working against you! YOU ARE NOT DUMB <3 It's the fourth hit when I google it.

Anyways, here it is,
    Chapter 2 of Anne of Green Gables:
    "It will be my lifelong sorrow. I read of a girl once in a novel who had a lifelong sorrow but it wasn't red hair. Her hair was pure gold rippling back from her alabaster brow."

And I can't decide which is better, a hot pink whale with a navy/white chevron belly OR a namesake… Both pretty far up there as far as awesome goes!

5. Beth Olsson March 21, 2018 at 1:55 pm - Reply

That was really cool! I’m trying my best at gardening. There are pots filling my kitchen right now as I try to grow from seeds… We’ll see what survives!